Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Like every other aspect of culture sexuality is subject to fads and trends. Some of these fads are more confusing than others. A while back a friend of mine had sent me an email with what he had deemed to be an embarrassing question. I must have missed classes the day I was declared the Dr. Ruth of the student body. He wanted to know if enemas/colonics were safe. Oddly, enemas have been given a plethora of purposes other than what they were intended for.  I had heard people discuss using them in almost everything from weight loss efforts controlling bodily functions. Considering he and I were both in our early 20s at the time, and he a year or so younger than myself, I felt it would be a bad idea to start using such an awkward device.
To make sure I was not just over-reacting I consulted the University’s nurse practitioner Laura Hieronymus M.S.N. In her email response Hieronymus said, “This is a fairly complicated question.  A lot of it has to do with why the person is doing them?  Have they been constipated for a week and use it to get relief?  That might be a reasonable use.  But any other reasons are not.”
In some circles colonics are advertised as a means to rid the body of toxins but, the body does that on its own. Baring some biological interference this cleaning method is unnecessary. Hieronymus also noted, “Andrew Weil, who is a Harvard trained M.D. and is an alternative healer (He is big, very well thought of) has strongly come out against enemas in healthy people.”
In my opinion, enemas are on the same level as douches. To borrow a phrase from  Mid-west Teen Sex Show, “You wouldn’t date a douche so why use them?”
In both cases, gravity is your friend.  Gravity pulls everything towards the Earth regardless of whether it is in the body or outside of it.  The human body will do its job and gravity will do the rest.

No comments: