Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Types vs "Chasing"

Metros. Jocks and bears Oh my… It is a tacky way to start but here I go. Sexuality is a complex and dynamic concept. If you disagree then perhaps revisiting my Sexual Landscape post. I base this conclusion on the existence of “types”. No two people have exactly the same type. For those of you that are unclear what I mean by type I will clarify…
A type refers to a set of physical and personality characteristics that are found desirable by a person. This is a basis for the “Tall, dark and handsome” icon.  In order for someone to be categorized as someone else’s “type” they need to possess some, or all, of the characteristics. The ideas of types, and what they are, tend to be very dynamic.  Having a “type” is not to be confused with being a “chaser” or taking “-izer” on the end of a word.
A “chaser” is someone that fetishizes a group of people based on a set of characteristics. There are chasers for almost every group out there. I actually found out one of my exes was a chubby chaser. Needless to say that relationship, and my self-esteem, did not last long after that.
Being an “izer”, sometimes considered users, is similar to being a chaser. “Izers”, such as modelizers and womanizers, will fetishize a population and use members of that population as a status symbol. Both “izers” and chasers can end up doing emotional damage to the people they date.
If you should "look before you leap" then learning before you date is just as wise.

No comments: